Friday, July 24, 2009

here we go


Yes it's true, potty training has begun in earnest. We are still within the first 24 hours of serious commitment. Despite Sam's past refusals to try to use the potty, I am making the effort now because preschool is right around the corner. Once we start on that schedule, we won't have continuous days when we can stay home to focus on the process. I am hoping that making a big push now will get Sam at least "potty-learned" for preschool. We will be staying home as much as possible, armed with a stack of kids' potty books from the library, a boy baby-doll who can pee in his own tiny potty, calming music (right now, Iron and Wine's Our Endless Numbered Days--haha), doorlocks to lock off the carpeted rooms of the house, nakedness (for him), rags and towels (already in use), and, hopefully for both of us, giant quantities of patience. I cajole the nakedness, but otherwise I am mostly letting Sam take the lead.

So far, he is most interested in giving his baby doll the water bottle so that babydoll will pee. As for Sam's own pee, well, he keeps saying, "I already peed!" and then shows me where to clean it up.

It's almost 10am, and I've had 4 interruptions writing this post. I am exhausted already! But positive, and determined.

3 comments:

heather said...

hang in there! Everyone says boys are the hardest. Glad you're paving the way and can tell us the best tricks!

I love when Little S looks down at her puddle after she's peed on the floor/ground. After bath tonight, she did that and then tried to cruise around, narrowly averting disaster and a second bath!

Amy said...

Good luck! Miles does great when he's naked, but I can't seem to get him to stop playing when he has clothes on to go to the potty consistently.....we'll get there I guess.

CarrieAlair said...

Can't wait to hear how it is going next time we see you!